How to Become an Independent or Public Adjuster

Insurance adjusters investigate insurance claims and determine the amount of loss or damages covered by property and casualty insurance policies. Insurance adjusters work in the claims departments of insurance companies, or as public or independent adjusters. Insurance company adjusters represent insurers; public adjusters represent policyholders; and independent adjusters work for insurers or policyholders.
Requirements for obtaining a licence to act as an Insurance Adjuster under the Insurance Act.
  1. Complete an Insurance Adjuster application, include supporting documents and remittance fee of $75.
  2. Be familiar with the laws of Ontario relating to the licensing of adjusters.
  3. Be sponsored by an adjusting company.
Note: Individuals employed by an insurer and working as adjusters do not need a licence.



Initially, the applicant will be granted a Letter of Authority. The applicant must successfully complete four Insurance Institute of Canada (IIC) [New Window] courses after obtaining the Letter of Authority to receive a Probationary Adjusters Licence. The courses are:

C11 - Principles and Practice of Insurance
C12 - Insurance on Property
C14 - Automobile Insurance – Part 1
C110 - Essentials of Loss Adjusting
Individuals must successfully complete an additional four IIC courses within 30 months after obtaining a Probationary Adjusters Licence. The courses are:
C13 - Insurance Against Liability – Part 1
C32 - Bodily Injury Claims
C111 - Advanced Loss Adjusting
C112 - Practical Issues in Claims Management
Successful candidates will be eligible to register to sit for a computer based exam through the Canadian Independent Adjusters’ Association (CIAA). Candidates who successfully pass their computer based exam with a mark of 70% or higher will be issued a full Adjuster’s Licence by the Financial Services Commission of Ontario (FSCO).
Additional information can be obtained from The Canadian Independent Adjusters’ Association [New Window].
Note: Individuals may attempt the computer based examination without taking the required courses if they have a Chartered Insurance Professional (CIP) designation or a Fellow Chartered Insurance Professional (FCIP) designation.

Sponsorship by Adjusting Company


Sponsoring companies are responsible for investigating the record of the applicant and confirming the following:


  1. That the applicant is a person of good character and reputation.
  2. That the applicant possess an educational background that is appropriate to the responsibilities of an adjuster of the sponsoring company.
  3. That the applicant meets all licensing requirements and is a suitable person to receive a licence as an adjuster as appropriate.
  4. The sponsoring company has established and maintains a system to ensure that each adjuster complies with the Ontario legal requirements and the requirements of the adjuster's licence.



Adjusters must renew their licence within 60 days prior to the expiry date on their licence. Every adjuster licence expires on the 30th of June. The fee for renewal is $75.


Note: Deposit of a cheque or money order does not automatically mean that the individual is licensed.

The effective date of an individual's licence is listed on FSCO's Individual Adjusters and Adjusting Companies Licensed in Ontario Application.
A $35.00 fee will be charged for cheques returned for non-sufficient funds.

Are you licensed as an insurance adjuster in another province or territory


Effective July 1, 2011, changes to the Agreement on In​ternal Trade (AIT)​ [New Window] and the Ontario Labour Mobility Act, 2009 [New Window] make it easier for an individual already licensed as an adjuster in a Canadian province or territory outside Ontario to apply for and receive a full adjuster’s licence in Ontario.

Under the new streamlined rules, an individual holding a licence in good standing equivalent to Ontario’s full adjuster’s licence is exempted from Ontario’s education requirements.  However, an individual seeking a licence to adjust auto claims would still need to have successfully completed an exam on Ontario auto insurance.  The Registered Insurance Brokers of Ontario (RIBO) offers this exam on behalf of FSCO.
To apply for this exam print and complete the Ontario Automobile Insurance Examination Application Form and mail it to RIBO. 
Eligible individuals also need to meet all other eligibility requirements for an adjuster’s licence in Ontario.  For more information on these requirements, see How to Become an Independent or Public Adjuster.
Individuals who are not eligible may still apply to FSCO to be licensed. FSCO will review an applicant’s education and experience to determine eligibility for an Ontario adjuster’s licence. If you have an adjuster licence that is not equivalent to Ontario’s full adjuster licence, you may qualify for Ontario’s Letter of Authority or Probationary Adjuster’s Licence.  

Do you want to be licensed in another province?

If you are licensed in Ontario and want information about becoming licensed in another province or territory, please go to: Do you want to be licensed in another province or territory?

Who is eligible under the AIT?

Under the AIT, an individual holding any of the following licences would be exempt from the education and experience requirement when applying for Ontario’s full adjuster’s licence:
British Columbia:
  • Adjuster Level 2
  • Adjuster Level 3
Alberta :
  • Adjuster’s Certificate Level 3
  • Level 3 Adjuster
  • Level 3 – Adjuster
  • Level 4 – Independent Adjuster
  • Claims Adjuster
  • Claims Adjuster in Personal Lines Damage Insurance
  • Claims Adjuster in Commercial Lines Damage Insurance
New Brunswick:
  • Level III – Adjuster
  • Level IV – General Adjusters Licence
Nova Scotia:
  • Level III – Adjuster
  • Level IV – Independent Adjuster
Prince Edward Island:
  • Full Adjuster’s Licence
  • Adjuster Level III
  • Adjuster Level IV
Northwest Territories:
  • Adjuster

Not eligible under the AIT

​At this time, individuals holding an adjuster's licence and residing in the Yukon or Nunavut are not eligible under the AIT for an Ontario full adjuster’s licence. They may still apply to FSCO to be licensed and FSCO will review the applicant’s education and experience to determine eligibility for an Ontario licence.