FAQs on Submitting Filing Extension Requests through the Pension Services Portal (PSP)

Q49.1. Have the amendments to section 105 of the Ontario Pension Benefits Act (PBA) effective January 1, 2014 changed the Financial Services Commission of Ontario’s (FSCO) filing extension practices?
A49.1. Yes. FSCO now considers applications for filing extensions up to a maximum of 60 days. Further filing extensions are now only granted in exceptional circumstances. See FSCO’s revised pension policy D050-803 (Extension of Deadline for Filings with FSCO) available on FSCO’s website for additional information. -06/2014
Q50. Can I submit filing extension requests for all prescribed filings through the PSP?
A50. Yes.  The PSP’s online application service can be used to request filing extensions for all prescribed filings.  These filings include:
  • Actuarial Information Summary (AIS) and Actuarial Valuation Report (AVR)
  • Annual Information Return (AIR);
  • Investment Information Summary (IIS);
  • Pension Benefits Guarantee Fund Assessment Certificate (PBGF);
  • Pension Plan/Fund Financial Statements; and     
  • Statement of Investment Policies and Procedures (SIPP) and SIPP Information Summary (Form 14). 
Filing extensions for AVRs required to be filed under other sections of Regulation 909, including but not limited to sections 3, 13 and 32, may not be filed using the PSP at this time.  They will be included in future PSP updates. -03/2013
Q51. Am I required to use the PSP for requesting a filing extension for a prescribed filing?
A51.  No.  You have two options for submitting a filing extension request to FSCO. You can:
  1. make your request through the PSP; or
  2. submit a written request to FSCO by letter or email. 
In either case, your application needs to provide the information that is outlined in Pension Policy D050-803 (Extension of Deadline for Filings) Size: ## kb.  –03/2013
Q52. What are the benefits of making a filing extension request through the PSP?
A52.The benefits of the online application include:
  • a faster response time to any filing extension request; and
  • a more efficient submission process.  –03/2013
Q53. I would like to make a filing extension request in writing.  What should I do? 
A53.  If you want to send your filing extension request by email, please send an email to PensionInquiries@fsco.gov.on.ca.  Please ensure your email’s subject line indicates that you are requesting a filing extension and include the type of filing and year.
If you want to send your filing extension request by mail, please send a letter to FSCO at:
Financial Services Commission of Ontario
Attn: Pension Plans Branch
5160 Yonge Street
Box 85, 4th Floor
Toronto ON  M2N 6L9
Q54. Can any individual make filing extension requests through the PSP?
A54.  Yes.  Any individual with a valid PSP account* may make a filing extension request through the PSP. 
* Individuals with a valid PSP account include the Pension Plan Administrator and any individual to whom the Pension Plan Administrator has delegated plan access on the PSP  -03/2013 
Q55.  Where can I find step-by step instructions for making a filing extension request through the PSP?
A55.  For step-by-step instructions on this process, please refer to FSCO’s Instructions for Making Filing Extension Requests Through the PSP.  
Note:  To file electronically, you must first activate your PSP account.  –03/2013

Follow FSCO on social media  

Outage  Scheduled Online Service Disruption Notice
Please consult our outage schedule for more details.