Minutes of Meeting September 4, 2014
Mike De La Haye, Wawanesa (Chair) Asfaw Seife
Mark Cekuta,DGIG J.R. Richards
Charlotte Forrester, Wawanesa John Lobo
Pierre Gravesande, Economical Christina Pearce
Janine Hedington,The Co-operators
Peggy Jacobs, Northbridge
Kirk Brandemark, Unifund
Maria Joshua, Sedgwick
Phyllis Kuipers, Travelers (The Dominion)
Patrick Lau, Travelers
Fion Lau, Belair Direct
Kim Thoms, Royal & Sun Alliance
Linda Watson, TD Insurance
Kelli Wright, Aviva
Colin Quinn, Aviva
Vicki Brindley, Allstate, Pembridge and Pafco via teleconference
Mary Meaney, Economical via teleconference
The Dispute Resolution Group – Companies Forum includes representative from auto insurance companies dealing with disputes before the Commission involving motor vehicle accident claims and Statutory Accident Benefits. It consults with the Dispute Resolution Group of Financial Services Commission of Ontario on issues relating to the dispute resolution system.
- Review and Approval of Minutes of Previous Meeting – May 29, 2014.
Approved with amendments.
Matters Arising from the Minutes
- eCalendar Update:
FSCO's Arbitration eCalendar was fully launched on July 2, 2014.
A. Seife thanked members at the meeting for their assistance, input and feedback during the eCalendar phased in approach.
A. Seife advised members that the MARS eCalendar Team has been selected to receive a 2014 Stella Award in two categories: Greening and Partnership for the Arbitration eCalendar/DRCD-2 Project Team.
- DRS Report – Statistics and Staffing Updates
Asfaw Seife, J.R. Richards and John Lobo provided statistical updates for Mediation, Arbitration and Appeals with reference to the reports distributed to members.
Updates since May 29, 2014 were provided in a memo from Asfaw Seife to Forum members and reviewed.
J. Lobo provided a staffing update that the team leader and mediator positions will be filled shortly through the competition process.
J. Lobo reminded members of the following:
- To submit the Form B and include any additional issues to avoid new applications for mediation being filed after a file is closed.
- To complete and submit the consent/request to fail mediation form, where there is no reasonable prospect of resolution.
- To use the electronic notifications to advise of suggested settled and file closures rather than submitting mail or fax.
Next Meeting – December 4, 2014.