Minutes of Meeting December 4, 2014
Mike De La Haye, Wawanesa (Chair)
Charlotte Forrester, Wawanesa
Pierre Gravesande, Economical
Janice Hedington,The Co-operators
Patrick Lau, Travelers
Fion Lau, Belair Direct
Kim Thoms, Royal & Sun Alliance
Linda Watson, TD Insurance
Kelli Wright, Aviva
Suilan Lue, DGIC
Barry Rosenthal, Belair Direct
Tim Slaats, Aviva Canada
The Dispute Resolution Group – Companies Forum includes representative from auto insurance companies dealing with disputes before the Commission involving motor vehicle accident claims and Statutory Accident Benefits. It consults with the Dispute Resolution Group of Financial Services Commission of Ontario on issues relating to the dispute resolution system.
- Review and Approval of Minutes of Previous Meeting – September 4, 2014.
Approved with amendments.
Matters Arising from the Minutes
- DRS Report – Statistics and Staffing Updates
Asfaw Seife, J.R. Richards and Elizabeth Faggiani provided statistical updates for Mediation, Arbitration and Appeals with reference to the reports distributed to members.
Updates since September 4, 2014 were provided in a memo from Asfaw Seife to Forum members and reviewed.
E. Faggiani introduced Ann Walker, new Team Leader in Mediation. She also advised that there is a current posting for 3 fixed contract mediators to be filled through the competition.
J.R. Richards provided a staffing update that three new arbitrators- (Isabel Stramwasser, Sudabeh Mashkuri and Dana Hirsh) have started effective November 17, 2014.
- Bill 15 (formerly Bill 171), has received Royal Assent but had not been proclaimed yet. It is likely that different parts of the Bill may be proclaimed at different times. Questions were asked on the status, process, and timing of the transition of DRS to the License Appeal Tribunal. Members were advised that the answers are unknown at this time. Tony Toy, Senior Policy Consultant, advised members to check the FSCO website for any updates on Bill 15.
- Asfaw Seife informed members that FSCO will be sending an email to all members on the mailing list, asking them to confirm if they would be attending future Companies Forum meetings and that if they did not respond, they would be removed from the list.
- Asfaw Seife advised members that Philippa Samworth, Chair at the DRS Counsel Forum spoke to Allan Stitt of ADR Chambers regarding the formation of Counsel Forum with ADR Chambers, similar to FSCO’s. Mr. Seife asked that if members of this forum are interested to the same set up, to contact Mr. Stitt to set up a meeting with ADR Chambers.
- Linda Watson asked when the fee for ROM is issue. She framed her concern around the example of reporting settlement prior to the scheduled mediation.
Elizabeth Faggiani, Team Leader, Mediation Unit explained that currently the process is such that a ROM is issued on all files that are assigned to the eCalander. If a written confirmation is received at FSCO prior to the file being assigned to the eCalander, (this is usually 2-4 day window depending on processing of files and intake) the file may be shut down with a letter and not a report. The fee is generated by the issuance of the ROM.
It was further explained that each company is responsible for monitoring what files are arriving at FSCO through the new Portal. Getting access is dependent on the company’s internal Account Manager.
- Next Companies Forum Meeting at FSCO is scheduled on March 26, 2015.
Next Meeting – March 26, 2015.