Minutes of Meeting May 28, 2015
Mike De La Haye, Wawanesa (Chair)
Pierre Gravesande, Economical
Patrick Lau, Travelers
Barry Rosenthal, Belair Direct
Kim Thoms, Royal & Sun Alliance
Terri Urman, Unifund
Darryl Hurst, Aviva
Colin Quinn, Aviva
Linda Watson, TD Insurance via teleconference
Vicki Brindley, Assist Plus via teleconference
Bessie Ho, TD Insurance via teleconference
The Dispute Resolution Group – Companies Forum includes representative from auto insurance companies dealing with disputes before the Commission involving motor vehicle accident claims and Statutory Accident Benefits. It consults with the Dispute Resolution Group of Financial Services Commission of Ontario on issues relating to the dispute resolution system.
- Review and Approval of Minutes of Previous Meeting – March 26, 2015.
Approved with amendments.
Matters Arising from the Minutes
- DRS Portal
Senior Arbitrator Macey in response to a previous suggestion, advised that with over 700 Account Managers, it was not feasible to effectively have them all in for an in-house update session. The option of sending out an eblast, “Quick Tips” or a “What New”, to share information and updates was discussed.
Senior Arbitrator Macey, suggested that Account Managers need to review, if necessary, the Terms and Conditions of Use of the DRS Portal available on the website.
Issues discussed were:
- changing an email address on one file and how it impacts all other open files;
- the firm’s responsibility on changing the account manager;
- only the account manager should be contacting FSCO staff directly on all matters related to the Case Management Portal (CMP);
- the firms account manager should be known to their staff;
- account manager should not share their password with their staff; each user should have their own account and password
- recipients of emails from eCalendar should not reply to these auto generated emails.
- DRS Report – Statistics and Staffing Updates
Asfaw Seife, Janine Macey and John Lobo provided statistical updates for Mediation, Arbitration and Appeals with reference to the reports distributed to members.
Updates since March 26, 2015 were provided in a memo from Asfaw Seife to Forum members and reviewed.
John Lobo advised that recruitment is underway for 1 mediation administrative assistant and 1 mediation assistant, fixed term position.
Janine Macey advised that recruitment are underway for 2 arbitrators’ position on short term basis.
- Bill 15 (formerly Bill 171) which has not yet been proclaimed, will be added as a going forward standing agenda item. Members will be kept informed as new information becomes available and were reminded to check the FSCO website for updates.
- In response to Mark Cekuta’s question, FSCO was unable to confirm at this time if the eCalendar will be adopted by SLASTO or whether a different system will be used.
- Asfaw Seife, Director, DRS encouraged members to send Christina Pearce any discussion items ahead of the meeting.
- Christina Pearce to send an email to all Companies Forum Members, seeking confirmation of those who will be attending future Companies Forum meetings and be kept on the mailing list.hristina Pearce to send an email to all Companies Forum Members, seeking confirmation of those who will be attending future Companies Forum meetings and be kept on the mailing list.
Next Meeting – September 24, 2015.