Minutes of Meeting September 29, 2016
Mike De La Haye, Wawanesa (Chair)
Pierre Gravesande, Economical
Beata Morris, Intact
Kim Thoms, Royal & Sun Alliance
Karen Creates, Northbridge
Tania Shah, TD Insurance
Mike Sewerniuk, Aviva (via teleconference)
Janice Hedington, Cooperators (via teleconference)
Mark Cekuta, DGIG (via teleconference)
Maria Joshua, Sedgwick (via teleconference)
Colin Quinn, Aviva (via teleconference)
The Dispute Resolution Group – Companies Forum includes representative from auto insurance companies dealing with disputes before the Commission involving motor vehicle accident claims and Statutory Accident Benefits. It consults with the Dispute Resolution Group of Financial Services Commission of Ontario on issues relating to the dispute resolution system.
- Review and Approval of Minutes of Previous Meeting – May 26, 2016.
Approved with no changes.
Matters Arising from the Minutes
- Dispute Resolution Services (DRS) Status Report – Statistics and Staffing Updates
John Lobo and Asfaw Seife provided statistical updates for Arbitration and Appeals with reference to the reports distributed to members.
John Lobo provided a staffing update for the Arbitration Unit.
Asfaw Seife informed members that due to the increase in Appeal cases, Jeffrey Rogers has been appointment as the third Appeal Officer.
Updates since May 26, 2016, were provided in a memo from Asfaw Seife to Forum members and reviewed.
- There was a brief discussion on the current HST issue.
- With the conclusion of mediation services and the ongoing wind down of arbitration services, it was agreed that there would be no further Companies Forum meetings.
- Asfaw Seife thanked Mike De La Haye, Chair, and all Companies Forum members for their dedicated service, active participation and attendance at these meetings over the years.
- Mike De La Haye in turn, thanked Tom Golfetto, Executive Director of the Automobile Insurance Division at FSCO, DRS management, FSCO staff and the Companies Forum members.