Minutes of Meeting held on March 27, 2015
Philippa Samworth (Chair)
Laura Emmett via teleconference
Elizabeth Wilson via teleconference
- Meeting on January 23, 2015.
Approved as amended.
- DRS Portal/eCalendar Review/Health Check
Senior Arbitrator Richards provided a status update and raised the need for system compliance. A discussion followed, on what is working and not working with the system. It was agreed, that this would be a standing agenda item going forward. J.R. Richards advised he will be sending an eblast to all account users, asking for feedback.
- DRS Status Report – Statistics and Staffing Updates
J.R. Richards, John Lobo and Asfaw Seife provided statistical updates for Mediation, Arbitration and Appeals with reference to the reports distributed to members.
Updates since January 23, 2015 were provided in a memo from Asfaw Seife to Forum members and reviewed.
J.R. Richards advised that 2 backfill fixed term mediators will be starting on April 7, 2015.
No staffing update.
- Bill 15 (formerly Bill 171), received Royal Assent. There was some discussion on the status, process, and timing of the DRS transition to the License Appeal Tribunal. It is expected that as of Spring 2016, all new applications for dispute resolution services will be directed to LAT, while FSCO will continue to be responsible for files in the system, subject to transition regulations that are still to be developed. Tony Toy, Senior Policy Consultant, advised members to check the FSCO website for any updates on Bill 15.
- Philippa Samworth, Chair at the DRS Counsel Forum advised that she’s canvassing agenda items for the ADR Chambers/DRS Counsel Forum Meeting scheduled on May 1, 2015.
- Tony Toy, Senior Policy Consultant advised that the 3 Year Review will be delivered to the Ministry shortly.
Next Meeting – May 29, 2015.