Minutes of Meeting held on April 1, 2016
Philippa Samworth, Dutton Brock
Eric Grossman, ZTGH
Karen Chee, Withrow & Associates
Joan Takahashi, Gilbertson, Davis
Joseph Rizzotto, Rizzotto Law Firm
Leanne Zabudsky, Evans Philp
Alexandra Royes, Bell Temple LLP
Sandra Train, Howie, Sacks and Henry
Elizabeth Wilson, BBO via teleconference
Adam Fox, Smockum Zarnett LLP via teleconference
Joe Bowcock, Smockum Zarnett LLP via teleconference
Ben Hutchinson, Smockum Zarnett LLP via teleconference
FSCO Attendees: Asfaw Seife
- Meeting on January 22, 2016
Approved as amended.
- DRS Status Report – Statistics and Staffing Updates
Elizabeth Faggiani and Asfaw Seife provided statistical updates for Mediation, Arbitration and Appeals with reference to the reports distributed to members.
Updates since January 22, 2016 were provided in a memo from Asfaw Seife to Forum members and reviewed.
Asfaw Seife informed members that interviews are being conducted to fill 2 Arbitrator positions and the Senior Arbitrator Position.
Asfaw Seife informed members that due to the increase in Appeal cases, an Appeal Officer will be appointed shortly.
Auto Insurance Dispute Resolution System (AIDRS) Project Update:
Mr. Graham Boswell, Counsel, LAT-SLASTO gave a presentation on the following:
- The new Automobile Accident Benefits Service (AABS) takes effect on April 1, 2016.
- Information sessions for legal and insurance company administrative staff who will be preparing AABS forms and supporting AABS cases will be held March 29 and 31; April 5 to 8 and April 12 to 15, 2016 at 655 Bay Street, 14th floor, Toronto.
- A “Getting Ready” Package for AABS Participants is now available on the new launched AASBS website (http://www.slasto.gov.on.ca/en/AABS) and to check under the “News” Tab for information and updates.
- Proposed Licence Appeal Tribunal rule changes, reflecting the implementation of AABS, were posted for public comment in December. Feedback received and integrated. The updated Rules are posted online.
Questions and Answers period followed.
- Philippa Samworth advised that as her term as Counsel Forum Chair is coming to term; members will need to elect a new Chair. This agenda item to be tabled at the next scheduled meeting.
Next Meeting – May 27, 2016