Minutes of Meeting held on May 27, 2016
Philippa Samworth (Chair), Dutton Brock
Marni Miller, ZTGH
Joan Takahashi, Gilbertson, Davis
Alexandra Royes, Bell Temple LLP
Catherine Zingg, Flaherty McCarthy LLP
Adam Fox, Smockum Zarnett LLP
John Schrieder, Reisler Franklin
Joseph Rizzotto, Rizzotto Law Firm
Jacob Aitcheson, Lerners via teleconference
Elizabeth Wilson, BBO via teleconference
Michelle Friedman, Withrow via teleconference
Tricia Hannigan, Intact via teleconference
- Meeting on April 1, 2016
Approved as amended.
- DRS Status Report – Statistics and Staffing Updates
Asfaw Seife and John Lobo provided statistical updates for Mediation, Arbitration and Appeals with reference to the reports distributed to members. John Lobo provided a staffing update for Mediation and Arbitration. Asfaw Seife informed members that due to the increase in Appeal cases, Richard Feldman has been appointment as an Appeal Officer.
Updates since April 1, 2016 were provided in a memo from Asfaw Seife to Forum members and reviewed.
Ms. Elizabeth Nastasi, Counsel, LAT-SLASTO gave an update on the following:
- The new Automobile Accident Benefits Service (AABS) took effects and opened its doors on April 1, 2016.
- Changes to the License Appeal Tribunal Rules of Practices and Procedure also took effect April 1, 2016 for Rule 10; Rule 12; Rule 16; Rule 18; Rule 19 and Rule 20.4.
- There have been over 400 applications received to date.
- AABS received feedback on certain forms and letters and there is an ongoing process to update and improve.
- A “Getting Ready” Package for AABS Participants is still available on the new AASBS website (http//www.slasto.gov.on.ca/en/AABS). Check under the “News” Tab for information and updates.
- AABS Website: www.slasto.gov.on.ca/en/AABS
- Questions and answers from previous public info sessions
A number of questions were raised at the meeting for the new AABS. Elizabeth Nastasi noted the questions and will respond on behalf of LAT.
Philippa Samworth advised members that she will stay on for another year as Chair of DRS Counsel Forum Meeting.
Christina Pearce will be sending 2017 meeting dates for the DRS Counsel Forum members.
Next Meeting – September 30, 2016