On November 9, 2006, the government of Ontario announced the appointment of an expert commission to carry out province wide consultations on possible changes to the Pension Benefits Act. The commission is to be chaired by Harry Arthurs, a noted academic and labour lawyer. Other commission members are Ian Markham, Kathryn Bush, Bob Baldwin and Murray Gold. The commission is expected to report back in the summer of 2008.
The commission’s areas of focus will include:
- pension plan funding and surplus;
- the Pension Benefits Guarantee Fund;
- full and partial plan wind ups, plan splits and mergers;
- asset transfers between pension plans; and
- funding of defined benefit multi-employer pension plans.
Information about the commission, its terms of reference and contact information is available at www.pensionreview.on.ca .