IN THE MATTER OF the Pension Benefits Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. P.8, as amended (the “PBA”);
AND IN THE MATTER OF a Proposal of the Superintendent of Financial Services to make a Declaration under section 83 of the PBA, respecting the General Chemical Canada Limited Bargaining Unit Employees Pension Plan Registration Number 695213
Morneau Sobeco Limited Partnership
895 Don Mills Road, Suite 700
One Morneau Sobeco Centre
Toronto, ON M3C 1W3
H. Scott Ellis
Vice President and General Counsel
General Chemical Industrial products
120 Eagle Rock Avenue
East Hanover, NJ, 07936
Senior Manager, Financial Advisory
S. Funtig & Associates Inc.
484 Pellissier St.
Windsor, ON N9A 4K9
Trustee in Bankruptcy
Vice President, Advisory Services
Suite 2500, Box 82
Royal Trust Tower TD Centre
Toronto, ON M5G 1G8
Director, Pension and Benefits Department
National Automobile, Aerospace, Transportation and General Workers
Union of Canada (C.A.W. Canada), Local 89
205 Placer Court
Toronto, ON M2H 3H9
NOTICE OF PROPOSAL
I PROPOSE TO MAKE A DECLARATION under section 83 of the PBA that the Pension Benefits Guarantee Fund applies to the General Chemical Canada Limited Bargaining Unit Employees Pension Plan (the “Plan”) Registration Number 695213.
- The Plan is registered under the PBA, and
- The Plan provides defined benefits that are not exempt from the application of the Pension Benefits Guarantee Fund by the PBA or the Regulations made thereunder, and
- The Plan was wound up effective November 18, 2005, and
- There are reasonable and probable grounds that the funding requirements of the PBA and regulations cannot be satisfied. Based on the latest actuarial certification, there is an estimated claim against the Pension Benefits Guarantee Fund of $30,379,600. If funds become available from the estate of the employer, the administrator will be required to make an appropriate refund of any allocation amount received by the Plan from the Pension Benefits Guarantee Fund.
- Such further and other reasons as may come to my attention.
YOU ARE ENTITLED TO A HEARING by the Financial Services Tribunal (the “Tribunal”) pursuant to section 89(6) of the PBA. To request a hearing, you must deliver to the Tribunal a written notice that you require a hearing, within thirty (30) days after this Notice of Proposal is served on you.*
YOUR WRITTEN NOTICE must be delivered to:
Financial Services Tribunal
5160 Yonge Street
Attention: The Registrar
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION on a Form for the written notice, please see the Tribunal website at www.fstontario.ca or contact the Registrar of the Tribunal by phone at 416- 590-7294, toll free at 1-800-668-0128, ext. 7294, or by fax at 416-226-7750.
IF YOU FAIL TO REQUEST A HEARING WITHIN THIRTY (30) DAYS, I MAY CARRY OUT THE PROPOSAL AS DESCRIBED IN THIS NOTICE.
DATED at Toronto, Ontario, this 3rd day of March, 2008
K. David Gordon
Deputy Superintendent, Pensions
*NOTE - Pursuant to section 112 of the PBA any Notice, Order or other document is sufficiently given, served or delivered if delivered personally or sent by regular mail and any document sent by regular mail shall be deemed to be given, served or delivered on the seventh day after the date of mailing.